Do you want to learn how to row?
Rowing provides a full body, intense cardiovascular workout and is the ultimate team sport. If this sounds like the challenge you’ve been looking for, Gentle Giant’s Learn-to-Row four-week program is a great way to get started!
Our coaches offer a combination of enthusiasm and patience to get you onto the water and working towards your full potential. Our Learn-to-Row program can also be a great refresher if you’ve rowed previously but not been in a boat for quite some time. If this is you, please reach out to us prior to registering for the session. Our coaches will be able to evaluate your skill level to determine if you are able to join one of the "regular" sessions. For a lot of people, rowing is like "riding a bike". Once you've done it, you'll be able to pick it up again quickly!
What to expect?
- Week One: You’ll start out on land with the ergometer (rowing machine) to learn the basics of the stroke. Once you’ve learned some basics, you'll be taught the importance of proper boat handling which will be followed by taking boat down to the river! By your second practice, you'll be on the river taking some strokes either in our barge or in one of our hulls!
- Week Two: You've learned some basics, now it's time to do some drilling and get the boat moving! You'll learn more about the stroke - how to hold the oar during your strokes, how to hold the oar during the "recovery" phase of the stroke, and much more!
- Week Three: Drilling will continue and you'll start moving the boat together as a team.
- Week Four: By now, you've rowed by "4's" and "6's"...now we take you up to all "8's"! The boat will be a little unstable at first but as you move you'll begin to understand how to properly "set" the boat as you row as well as pulling together!
It's important not to become discouraged in your first few times out on the river. Rowing is not easy! It takes time to learn and to master! Be patient with it and stay focused. Rowing is very addictive once you know the basics and you start moving!
In addition, you’ll make connections with new people from all walks of life with who share an interest in being fit and having fun doing it.
All adult practices are held at Blessing of the Bay, 32 Shore Drive, Somerville, MA. Morning and Evening Sessions are available:
- Morning Session - Tuesday & Thursday 5:30am - 7:00am and Saturday 7:00am - 8:30am
- Evening Session - Tuesday & Thursday 6:30pm - 8:00pm and Saturday 9:00am - 10:30am